A Joplin native, has joined the Phoenix family. Phoenix Fired Art has a new Studio Manager, Geoffrey Kunkler. Geoffrey has a BFA in Ceramics from Missouri State University in Springfield, MO and an MFA in Ceramics from the University of Kansas in Lawrence, KS – where he taught undergrad classes and helped manage the studio. He has spent the last three years working while his wife Tiffany finished her MFA in Metal Smithing and Jewelry from the University of Iowa. When you are in checking out the new exhibit, signing your kids up for Summer Mud, or signing yourself up for a class – say “hi!” and get to know him. He is a very friendly new face at one of Joplin’s treasures.
What’s going on a Phoenix?
- The Joy of Drinking — second national juried exhibition showcasing 35 drinking and pouring vessels from 14 artists in 12 states. All cups, tea bowls, mugs, tumblers, etc, are for sale.
- Sign Ups for Session 4 Classes — the next class session begins August 5th. They will be hosting morning (11am–2pm) and evening (6–9pm) classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Each session consists of 6 classes, each class is 3 hours. Click here for a PDF with complete info about Session 4 Classes.
- Sign Ups for Summer Mud Clay Camp — annual summer clay camp. The camp will run from August 4–8, 9:30am–Noon each day. Ages 8-12. Tuition for members: $150; $175 for Non-Members. All firing and materials included.
Cool new bike racks are heading to Downtown Joplin soon! These racks were designed with both form and function in mind. The Downtown Joplin Alliance is hoping to promote a more bike-friendly community. Keep your eyes peeled for 12 of these new fixtures to be installed in the Downtown area.
– SUMMER CAMPS & CLASSES WINDING DOWN
Summertime is coming to a close…but two weeks of arts camps and classes still remain! Take a look below for what’s to come:
- Art Feeds Second Saturday Workshops
- Musical Maestros | Saturday | August 9 | 9–11:30am | $25 pre-registration, $30 at the door
- Local Color Art Gallery & Studio
- Saturday Painting Class | Ages: 8–108 | 12:30–3pm | Different themes weekly | All supplies included | $35
- Phoenix Fired Art
- Summer Mud Clay Camp | Ages 8–12 | Mon–Fri | August 4–8 | 9:30am–Noon | Members: $150; Non-Members: $175
- Spiva Center for the Arts
- Under the Sea with Lacey Santillan |Tue–Thu | July 22, 23, 24 | 10-11:30am | Ages: 3-5 | Cost: $50
- 3-D Sculpture Camp with Sarah Serio | Tue–Thu| July 22, 23, 24 | 12:30-5:30pm | Ages: 6-12 | Cost: $90
- Stamped Jewelry with Karalee McDonald | Saturday | July 26 | 1-2pm | Ages: 14-18 | Cost: $25
- Animal Planet with Derek Norton | Tue–Thu| July 29, 30, 31| 10-11:30am | Ages: 3-5 | Cost: $50
- Clay Camp with Fred Mintert | Tue–Thu| July 29, 30, 31 | 12:30-5:30pm | Ages: 6-12 | Cost: $100
- Thomas Jefferson IDS Summer Discovery Academy
- Showtime for Kids (Grades 1 & 2) | Mon–Fri | July 21–25 | 9am–Noon
- Showtime for Kids (Grades 3-5) | Mon–Fri | July 21–25 | 9am–4pm
- Studio Art Academy (Pre-K–2nd Grade) | Mon–Fri | July 21–25 | 1–4pm
- Showtime – Behind the Scenes (Grades 6-12) | Mon–Fri | July 21–25 | 9am–Noon
- Poetry (Grades 6-12) | Mon–Fri | July 21–25 | 9am–Noon
- Digital Filmmaking (Grades 6-12) | Mon–Fri | July 21–25 | 1–4pm
- Studio Art Academy (Grades 3-5) | Mon–Fri | July 28–August 1 | 1–4pm
- Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center
- Nature’s Artwork Day Camp (Ages 7-12) | Tue–Fri | July 29–August 1 | 12:30–3:30pm
– GOT TICKETS? STAINED GLASS THEATRE & JOPLIN LITTLE THEATRE
Two great performances coming up! The second week of Pride and Prejudice by Stained Glass Theatre and the upcoming performance of The Boy Friend at Joplin Little Theatre. Get your tickets now!
Stained Glass Theatre: Pride and Prejudice – a drama
July 24, 25, 26 at 7:30pm | July 27 at 2:30pm
At Carl Junction school auditorium (West Allen and Broadway in Carl Junction, MO)
Ages 4-13: $5
Age 3 and under: Free on lap
Group (10 or more): $6 each
Call (417) 626-1293 or visit http://www.sgtjoplin.org for more info.
Joplin Little Theatre: The Boy Friend – a musical comedy
July 30 – August 2 | 7pm each night
At Joplin Little Theatre (3008 W 1st St, Joplin, MO)
Children Under 12: $6
For tickets & information click here.