May 2014 Third Thursday Art Walk in Downtown Joplin, The Joplin Globe Arts Column gives the low-down on JRAC, Call for Artwork! for Art, Autism & Remembrance Music Festival/Silent Art Auction, Books for Haiti a success!
Here at last, here at last! May’s Third Thursday is here at last! Take a look below for a few entertaining and creative events that will be going on around Downtown Joplin that evening:
- Spiva Center for the Arts: FilmSpiva 2014 will be running on a continual loop in the Central Christian Center. Stop by and vote for your favorite film (awards at 8:30pm)! In Spiva’s parking lot make “Little Jose’s” or travel inside for a sneak preview of Michael Gory: Luminary Animals in the Regional Gallery. Also, make sure to get your photo taken at 9Art Photography’s pop-up photo booth in Spiva! “Quilts for Kids: Selections from the 2013 Third Grade Project” is also on display in the Upstairs Gallery.
- RSVPaint: Peruse the local artwork of Dylan Garrison and participate in an open studio, only $25 each painter.
- Post Memorial Art Reference Library: Check out the latest exhibit of Joan Stattel’s watercolors featuring historic homes and the Ozarks.
- Firehouse Pottery: Have you ever been to a paint-your-own-pottery studio? Check out one of the newest arts-based businesses in town!
- Focal Point Art Gallery: Only open during 3rdTH, this gallery is full of student artwork from MSSU. Live printmaking each month!
- Origin of Painting: Marianne Evans-Lombe, from Tulsa, OK, will perform Origin of Painting for Jose and for for Joplin at 3rd and Main Streets at 7:45pm. Also visit Spiva’s parking lot to make “Little Jose’s.”
- 18 Art Galleries around Downtown Joplin: Ready, set…explore!
Did you catch Marta Churchwell’s column in last week’s enjoy! section of The Joplin Globe? It really gives the low-down on all the perks of becoming a Joplin Regional Artists Coalition (JRAC) member. Are you a local artist looking to get more involved in the arts community? This might just be the ticket! Read the article & learn more!
“To the Joplin Arts Community – a big part of the Art, Autism & Remembrance fundraising event is the Silent Art Auction. If you would like to donate a piece of art, we are now set up to receive your generous donations at the Bill & Virginia Leffen Center for Autism located at 3230 S Wisconsin, Suite D, Joplin, MO between the hours of 9am–4pm, Monday–Friday. The Art Auction will take place during the May 22nd outdoor music festival. Please help us support the wonderful work of Art Feeds and The Autism Center. Also, there are still some limited sponsorships available. If your company or organization would like to support this cause, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!” – Paul Whitehill of Whitehill Enterprises/Event Organizer.
Do you remember Theresa Allen, a local artist with a mission called “Books for Haiti”? Allen held a silent art auction to raise funds for the children of Imagine Missions, in Haiti – a home, school, and church for children orphaned by the 2010 earthquake. Her goal was to provide all 110 children with a copy of Letters From God, authored and illustrated by Allen. This short book gives a cohesive account of God’s word through: alphabet, word usage, rhyme, and illustration.
This week we received a most encouraging email from Allen…“My efforts to get books to Haiti was a great success! Much thanks to the Joplin community who made this possible!”